Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Adrian and the Sickness @ Momo's, 7.12.08

My Saturday night was devoted to new ventures by seeing a band that I was unfamiliar with, Adrian and the Sickness, at a bar that I had never been to before, Momo’s. I say yay for me and trying new things.

So, Adrian and her band of Sickness put on a set over 90-minutes of pure party music. The band’s performance was fueled by Adrian’s energy, which instantly kicks into high gear from the first note. She wasted no time wailing on her guitar, jumping off stage, and taking the rock to the crowd. A theme that continued throughout the night as that wouldn’t be the only time she decided to get up close and personal with the Momo’s patrons. There was even some shuffling along the top of the bar at several points, as well as spinning on the floor reminiscent of Curly from The Three Stooges. Pure entertainment I tell ya.

As far as their sound, try to imagine if The Donnas and AC/DC got together to have a jam session at Joan Jett’s house, and you pretty much have Adrian and the Sickness. Now putting the fun shenanigans aside one cannot deny Adrian’s skills on the guitar. Her fingers attack the strings and play at a feverish pace. She even gave us a sample of “Flight of the Bumblebee” to prove so. With a couple of Jäger shots mixed in, the trio performed songs in their catalog including “Winnie Roast,” “Car Salesman,” and the country-flavored “Roommate.” And for those in attendance who had no idea who they are, Adrian and crew dedicated the latter part of the set to covers. Of which included a Concrete Blonde song, making me wonder when was the last time I heard some Concrete Blonde before tonight. Did I mention how this is pure entertainment?

So my first Momo’s experience consisted of hearing some feel-good pop punk, seeing Adrian’s flailing dreadlocks whip around the bar, and was topped off by her shoving her guitar in my face during the last song. So in all I’d say it was a pretty good night.

-
William Trinity

This blog was first published on austinme.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment