Tuesday, September 1, 2009

SSv debates Arctic Monkey's Humbug



For a while I never really got the appeal of the Arctic Monkeys. Yes, their debut Whatever People Say, That's What I'm Not was a good album. But that's just it, the album was merely good. It wasn't great, it wasn't groundbreaking, and it wasn't anything that made me see them as some great saviors. As the band racked up the accolades and peopled compared them to The Beatles (really folks?), I just saw them as another indie band with an interesting but average sound. Then last year Alex Turner did The Last Shadow Puppets side project which completely blew me away. It was the first time I saw Turner as an skillful artist. 

To follow up The Last Shadow Puppets, Turner recruited one of my favorite musicians in Josh Homme to produce the latest Arctic Monkey's album. 

The result is Humbug, and the staff of Stereo Subversion has taken to the Internal Debate forum to discuss our views on the album. Oddly we are all pretty unified in our love for Humbug, so it's not much of a debate and more like praise from several critics in one spot. Click the link and be whisked away...


And in other Stereo Subversion news.. keep an eye on the site, because the redesign should be launching about mid month. I hear it's pretty nifty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment