Monday, April 5, 2010

Evelyn Evelyn, the Album

The Evelyn Evelyn album is one that is bound to stir up some controversy. Actually, the concept of it already has people talking. But that's to be expected when two musicians dress up like carnival sideshow freaks, in this case conjoined-twins, to sing show tunes.

I'm not going to shy away from saying how much I love Amanda Palmer, but when I heard about Evelyn Evelyn I was a little skeptical. It's obviously a novelty act. And novelty acts can really come off on the corny side. Fortunately Palmer (and project co-twin Jason Webley) didn't shy away from everything that makes the concept gimmicky, because within its hokeyness lies its heart. I say that Evelyn Evelyn notches up another success for Palmer, who in my opinion is one of the most innovative musicians in indie today.

excerpt... Modeled as a carnival attraction itself, this Vaudevillian act is filled with show tunes, boisterous instruments, and silly lyrics. I dare to say, it all works magnificently.

Click over to Stereo Subversion to read my entire review:


No comments:

Post a Comment